Ok, today I'm stealing the name of my hubby's band. I'm going to tell everybody that it's my birthday. I know...shameless.
I love my birthday. I love it only next to Christmas and now She Speaks. It all started with my mom, I think. I didn't grow up getting mounds of presents, but Mom made everybody's birthday truly special. You were king or queen for the day in the Dohm house on your birthday.
I would get to pick all my favorite meals. When I was little, I got a shape cake in whatever shape I picked. Nope, it wasn't the material stuff. In fact, I only remember a couple of birthday gifts.
My mom and dad were big on rites of passage. I had to wait until I was 7 to have a real bike and 13 to get my ears pierced. I remember those gifts but not much else.
My parents made the day special by making me feel special. I hope it's a legacy that I'm passing on to my kids, and I love to try to spoil Barry on his birthday.
The big thing that I think about every birthday as I get older is a quote from my dad. He says, "I don't mind having a birthday every year as long as every year gets better." You have to know my dad to truly appreciate that quote. He's the kind of man that makes every year better no matter the circumstances.
This year has been better than the last. Here's why:
- I'm more in love with Barry than ever. We don't have a perfect marriage, but we laugh every day. Perfect enough.
- I love the age of my boys. I loved those cuddly little babies, but I think I love their adultish minds and conversation more. They amaze me.
- My dog Hilde does the full body wiggle every morning when I let her out of her crate. That is reason to smile at the beginning of every day.
- I have two new chairs on my deck where I'm watching the leaves start to turn. Thanks, Mom and Dad!
- I love fall, and God made my birthday in October.
- Mostly, I have a deeper understanding of God's abiding love than last year. For a girl who's a doer, that's a huge blessing. He's teaching me to "be".
- My friendships are even richer than last year, and I'm thankful for my girlfriends. Smooches!
Does anybody else love their birthday? Does anybody share Oct. 8th with me? I'd love to meet you!